The information on this website contains detailed instructions about home care before and after your surgery. Please read this information carefully and let us know if you have any questions.
Our goal is to have your surgical experience be as comfortable and smooth as possible. Proper pre-operative preparation is very important. Here are some general instructions to follow prior to your appointment. If you have any difficulties or concerns, please do not hesitate to call us at 425.369.1533 or send us an email.
Before any procedure involving sedation, DO NOT eat or drink anything for
6 hours prior to your appointment. The ONLY exception is if you are required to take medication every morning or you have been instructed to pre-medicate before surgery, you may take your pills with
a small sip of water.
It is also recommended that you stock your fridge with soft and squishy foods such Jello, pudding, yogurt, eggs, and cottage cheese, to enjoy following your surgery. You may also want to purchase ice packs or bags of frozen peas to ice with following your procedure.
If Dr. Clayhold has prescribed medications (such as antibiotics or pain medication), please fill them prior to the day of surgery. You will need to take them soon after you return home from your appointment. Specific timeframes for taking the medication will be communicated to your driver.
If you are to be given I.V. sedation, you must have a friend
or family member available to drive you home from you appointment and be available to stay with you for several hours following the surgery.
We prefer to have your driver stay at our office during your surgery, but if they are not able to do so, we must also have a contact name and number for your driver in case of an emergency.
You should not drive, become involved in activities that require judgment for 24 hours following surgery, or be left unsupervised.
Over-exertion may start or intensify your pain, so set your schedule in advance of your appointment to avoid excessive work or play for at least the first 24 hours following surgery. It is not necessary to remain indoors following uncomplicated surgery.
Prior to surgery, please review and adhere to the following requirements:
• You may not have anything to eat or drink (including water) for six (6)
hours prior to the Appointment.
• No smoking at least 12 hours before surgery. Ideally, cut down or stop smoking as soon as possible prior to the day of surgery.
• A responsible adult must accompany the patient to the office, remain in the office during the procedure, and drive the patient home.
• The patient should not drive a vehicle or operate any machinery for 24 hours following the anesthesia experience.
• Please wear loose fitting clothing with sleeves which can be rolled up past the elbow, and low heeled shoes.
• Contact lenses, jewelry, and dentures must be removed at the time of surgery.
• Do not wear lipstick, excessive makeup, or nail polish on the day of surgery.
• If you have an illness such as a cold, sore throat, stomach or bowel upset, please notify the office.
• If you take routine oral medications, please check with Dr. Clayhold prior to your surgical date for instructions.